In 2017, Luis raced in the Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup and NEC Series for Josef Kaufmann Racing.
Josef Kaufmann Racing is known as a solid producer of Formula 1 talent.
It is one of the world's most awarded and professional racing outfits, with current Formula 1 stars Nico Hülkenberg, Stoffel Vandoorne, Esteban Gutiérrez and Sébastien Buemi all having raced for the team.
The 2016 McLaren Autosport British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) Award winner Lando Norris also raced for the team in 2016.
The Team "Josef Kaufmann Racing" was founded in the year 1982 by Josef Kaufmann himself. In the 1970s Kaufmann raced in the Formula V and Super V and in the early 1980s the team was engaged in the International German Formula 3 Championship. Gerhard Berger and Arie Luyendijk had been the team's two contenders in 1982.
The Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup and NEC Series are one of the most professional racing series for young emerging talent in International Motorsports.
The whole season is made up of 7 race events which are all part of the World Series by Renault Events on European Grand Prix tracks.
- Chassis: FR2.0/13. Carbon-fibre bodywork
- Engine: Renault F4R 832 – 4-cylinder – 16 valve – 1998cc. 210 bhp at 7,500rpm. 220Nm at 5,500rpm
- Transmission: SADEV seven-speed sequential + reverse gear. XAP electric control gearshift, semi-automatic steering-wheel mounted
- Front suspension: ZF Race Engineering single damper, two-way adjustable
- Rear suspension: ZF Race Engineering double damper, two-way adjustable
- Brakes: Four-piston calipers with 278 x 18 mm steel discs
- Rims: Aluminium one-piece 9 x 13 (front) and 10 x 13 (rear)
- Tyres: Michelin 20-54 x 13 (front) and 24-57 x 13 (rear)
- Length/width/height: 4270 / 1740 / 950mm
- Front and rear track: 1502 / 1440mm
- Fuel tank: 50 litres
- Unloaded weight: 506 kg